Saturday, October 21, 2006

Coxon at 53 Degrees


As promised a blurred (no pun intended) picture of Mr C and a sketchy report.

The evening started well but that was thanks to a couple of decent beers in Bitter Suite opposite the venue. We got into the gig about 5 mins before the band came on, having completely missed the support act. Switches. When I was younger I used to religiously watch every support band and wore it as a badge of honour. God, I've seen some garbage down the years. Probably the worst was a band whose name I have fortunately forgotten who supported Wilko Johnson at St Helens Citadel. The guitarist wore a bin liner, presumably as an oblique reference to the rubbish being pumped out. Nowadays the lure of a decent pint or two is greater than the possibility of seeing the next big thing. Anyway, I digress.
The gig started fairly slowly and it was a surprise to hear Spectacular as the second song in. The audience were a bit dead to be honest but it did pick up after about halfway. He is such a muso and I think he forgets he has an audience sometimes as he gets lost in his guitar work. There was a six song encore, including a raucous version of The Jam's All Mod Cons that livened proceedings up a bit and just about rescued the night. I don't think that, for a purpose built venue, the sound is great at 53 Degrees. The highlight of the evening was seeing a Stephen Merchant lookalike but I didn't get close enough to see if he was looking at a nude lady pen.

No comments: