Monday, June 06, 2005

The Best Laid Plans ...

... of mice and men, gang aft a-gley.

I had a Sunday afternoon in Bradford planned yesterday. I was meeting up with Stuart, Sam and Colin, the usual suspects for Saints away games and also with Steve, a mate from Uni who was driving down from Northumbria' and his friend Ged. We would watch a closely fought game of Rugby League, have a swift beer and round off the day with an authentic Bradford curry. Perfect.

I had not, however, reckoned on the vagaries of the British driver and road network which scuppered my plans. As I was driving down the M6 a sign flashed that there were delays on the M61 due to an accident. Well, I thought, I'll risk a delay. What I found out once I was on the M61 (and just about to hit the back end of the tailback) was that the motorway was actually closed. After 20 mins or so I managed to exit at the next junction and attempted to get closer to the M60 on A roads. Unfortunately all the motorway traffic had been diverted off at the next junction and now was hitting the road I was on. It was totally gridlocked and with no chance of getting there for half time, never mind kick off and no chance of success on alternative routes in the time available I had to cut my losses.

Fortunately I got home in time to watch it on Sky and it wasn't the close fought game we all predicted. Saints were on fire and well in charge by the time Leon Pryce was red carded for a cowardly attack to the head of Jamie Lyon. Lyon did get up and have a stormer just to rub it in. What a game to miss.

Caroline did make a cracking chicken, spinach and cashew nut curry which was a great consolation. We shall just have to arrange to meet up some other time, although I am toying with the idea of sending Steve my season ticket and letting him go to the games whilst I stay at home if that's what happens when I don't make it.

No comments: