Thursday, May 26, 2005

Champions League Final

Congratulations to Liverpool on their success in the Champions League Final.

As an Evertonian I listened (on 5Live initially) and later watched with mixed feelings. I must say that at first I was firmly in the Milan camp - long standing rivalry and all that. I finished coaching the U14s (Rugby League) at about 8pm and Liverpool were 1-0 down. By the time I dropped my son off at his Mum's it was 3-0. All over of course. When I got home, after a protracted disagreement with my ex-, the TV wasn't on and I didn't rectify the situation as I realised shortly afterwards that Dan had left his school shoes and I would have to take them round. On the radio went and I soon found out it was 3-2 and just at that moment Liverpool got the penalty which brought it level again. Any side that can pull a game round like that deserves to have that success so I can't begrudge the Reds their 5th European Cup victory.

The big talking point now is whether they will be back next year to defend the trophy. In common with the World Cup now there is no automatic entry into the next competition. They didn't finish high enough in the League this year to qualify that way so things don't look good for them at the moment. It has been suggested that they should take Everton's place but that won't happen. The rules for qualification were established before the season began and the Blues get the reward for a season of 'overachievement'. Besides, there would be riots in Liverpool if that happened. I had been following Everton home and away for a few years before we won the League in 1985. I was looking forward to competing with the best in Europe the following season (and we really were up there at that time) when a not insignificant event in Heysel Stadium occurred. Many Evertonians believe that if Liverpool had done the right thing and withdrawn voluntarily from European competition then therewould not have been a blanket ban on English clubs. To miss out because of Liverpool again, 20 years later, would be too much to take.
Of course, any other club who was forced to withdraw at Liverpool's expense could also point to the fact that the rules were known at the start of the season. The only way I can see them getting in is if UEFA punish Inter for the behaviour of their fans by withdrawing their entry.

I believe Liverpool should be allowed to defend the trophy and I hope a solution can be found - but forgive me if I don't lose any sleep over it.

No comments: